Beveled edge on bass bridge

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:00:57 -0500

Dear Bevelers,

Thanks much for helping me out with el problemo. I've ordered a spokeshave,
and am excited to get a new tool!

After looking in the reprint CD, and finding little for my specific bridge
capping (bass bridge), I decided that I would do it the most straightforward
way (to me anyway). I had made a tracing, but later decided instead to use
the old cap as a template for drilling holes. Removed the old cap (radial
arm saw), and had the hole placement and the angles already there. I did not
find this procedure in the reprints, so I don't know if this was the "proper
way" to do it. Made sense to me--is this the "right way"? I know that a
paper tracing will work fine, and that it could be somewhat better because
you can relocate the holes that were incorrectly drilled at the time of
manufacture. However, on this piano (older Howard console), it seemed just
as easy to do it by removing the top section of the old cap to use as a
template.

Thoughts?

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS