Lennon's Model Z Piano?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:38:40 EDT

List,

Here is the text of a story about John Lennon's piano.  I've never heard of a
model Z piano.  Also, the idea that it was to be used in a recording doesn't
seem to have happened.  After many years of neglect, I wonder if it could not
be tuned, regulated and voiced to broadcast quality. If it ressembles the
notorious 1098, I wouldn't be surprised if no recording industry technician
wanted to work on it.  So much for a famous name always meaning that you have
"the world's finest piano".

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin

LONDON (AP) - Pop star George Michael has kept his promise to a Beatles
museum in Liverpool and returned the piano used by John Lennon to record the
song ``Imagine.''

The Steinway Model Z upright piano was back on display Thursday at the
Beatles Story Museum, one year after Michael paid $2 million for the
31-year-old instrument at auction, museum staff said.

The piano had been on loan to the museum before its owner decided to sell it.
Michael remarked that his new purchase was ``not the type of thing that
should be in storage somewhere or being protected, it should be seen by
people.''

But after shelling out all that cash, he said he wanted to record a song with
the piano for his next album. His publicist said Thursday it was unclear
whether such a recording had been made.

The piano, built in Hamburg in 1970 and bought by Lennon the same year, was
delivered by police escort from Michael's London home, museum staff said.

Film footage shows Lennon performing ``Imagine'' for Yoko Ono on the
instrument at his home in southern England in 1971.

Lennon was shot and killed more than 20 years ago in New York City. The three
other ex-Beatles - Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison - survive.