S&S tuning pins...

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:58:03 +0200

Hello Friend Brekne and Del,

You two asked me for an explanation in regard to my former statements?

I must disappoint you, I can not give a scientific reason. On the other
hand, I did not say why tuning pins bushings  influence the tone, I just
said they do.

That I can explain :

My first encounter with this was may years ago during my very first visit at
the Steinway factory in Hamburg.
I asked why STW did not have tuning pins bushings and they told me that it
gave another tone..I did not understand it but just took swallowed that
explanation.
Then many years later in 1998 I did the Yamaha Concert grand course and 'my
instrument' was a prototype without bushings and it did sound much better.
the tone was more clear and open.
Since then all CFIIS grand have tuning pins without bushings and the do
sound better.

It probably has to do with energy not being killed by this 'collar around
the neck'

friendly greetings
from

Antares,