Where is the tenor?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:46:43 -0400

Friends,

OK, some of you might be surprised I would ask this question, but I
never really knew: I just guessed.  When talking about piano
construction, I gradually came to assume that a section is referred to
the bass section up to the second action bracket (the first being at the
far left).  The next section to the next break is all called the tenor,
while the upper section is called the treble.

Is this correct?  If so, where does the tenor stop and the treble start
on a vertical piano that has only one action bracket between the far
left and the far right?  I've been in this business long enough that I
really should know this by now, I know.  (sheepish grin)

Clyde