Wapin and ethics

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 00:00:49 -0700

----- Original >
> So if UCin  lets you use the Wapin for free suddenly they will be good
> guys?

No. But they might be considered less bad.

.  If it turns out to be good income/profit  for
> you, the objections to the patent and fee are moot.

My lifes decisions are not based on income/profit.  At what level of fee
does the decision become not moot?

 If the fee is
> actually impeding business that would be a legitimate complaint.

I assume you do not feel the fee is impeding business.  The attendance at
the class in Reno indicates otherwise.

> Now if you install it without the fee the most illegal thing you can
> do is call it "Wapin" and get paid for it as a Wapin.

Are you saying I can install Wapin, call it pasta and get by with it?  Check
with you attorney.

  So what are
> you advocating?  Tell your clients, "I have two or three reasons why
> the patent should not have been granted so I can save you $325."   Or
> explain to clients why they should pay extra for 3 rows of pins
> instead of  two without mentioning Wapin?

You fail to realize that Wapin, at least on the cover of the journal, may
have only two rows of pins.  Is that a half wapin or what would you call it?
And, does it do the job?  Could it be that the string will now scrape up and
down on the vertical pin and cause noise that would show higher order
partials than a "normal" bridge as shown on their websight.  Thirty some odd
partials seemed a little strange to me.

> I am pretty sure you are not suggesting  using someone else's  ideas
> for private gain.

Thank you for realizing that.  If Wapin does what it claims to do they
should thank me for giving them a lot more attention than they were able to
achieve at Reno.  If it doesn't, the egg won't be on my face.

Consider this situation, hypothetically.  Wapin has a patent on
straightening up the bridge pin to improve sustain ( I know the lawyers have
made it more complicated than that ).  I come along and patent an improvemen
t that is so good that without it the original patent loses value.  I can't
use my patent because I'd be infringing on theirs and they can't use mine
because they'd be infringing on mine.  Both patents have been issued by the
government on the basis that it's too much work to assess whether the ideas
meets the non obvious clause (we'll just pocket the money and let the
lawyers fight it out at someone elses expense.) I sue them .  They sue me.
Lawyers make money.  The government collects their fees
Two good ideas get lost.  The public loses a better product for less money.
Who are the winners and losers in this situation?

So, you see, the problems always get back to politics.

So, what should we do?  I don't know.  I know lots of questions. I don't
know any answers.  At least none that anyone would support.

Goodnight all!

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California

 When discussing the merits of a patent or the cost