Appearance (or you LIKE wearing a tie to work?? ;)

marty reyburn marty@reyburn.com
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 21:12:54 -0400

>What's a woman to do?  She has to look professional and feminine, yet not
>afraid of the tools in her toolbox or what she might encounter upon
>opening up a piano.

Hi Zen, and Diane,  other women techs :)

I don't feel comfortable dressing as Dean does when he's out tuning (jeans,
comfy collared shirt and sweater).  It's not *my* style nor do I feel I'd
get the respect I deserve as a professional if I showed up at the door in
denim.    To be fair, though, he did wear 3 piece suits when he started out
cause he looked so young, but as he gained experience and confidence, he
relaxed and wore what is comfortable to him.

And, I agree with Zen that skirts aren't convenient either, unless they are
very roomy and mid-calf.  I was adjusting the repetition on a Young Chang
grand last week, and if I'd been in a skirt, that would have been majorly
awkward hauling the action in and out!  Dampp-Chaser work would be even
more interesting, specially underneath grands!

My compromise has been dress slacks, a nice blouse and sweater or loose
jacket, and a very small amount of jewelry (sometimes an attractive
scarf).     I also have several full-skirted jumpers.  Kohl's has lovely,
professional looking clothes, and I've also seen nice things in the
Coldwater Creek's catalog (www.coldwatercreek.com).

One thing that IS important, however, and that's to take off my shoes AT
the door and slide on a pair of folding slippers before traipsing through
the customer's house.  Many times I have heard "oh, THANK you for taking
off your shoes!  The last piano tuner got mud on my carpet." Mine are
leather dance slippers, but the terry ones from WalMart would take up such
a little room, and what a good impression to the lady of the
house.   Guys... take notice.  This simple gesture means a LOT to women
customers, and not  only Oriental ones.  (Might mean making sure your socks
don't have holes, though *grin*).

I know some of you men wear ties and suitcoats for tuning, but frankly,  I
don't think you really need to.  I can't remember having ANY servicepeople
come to my house dressed that well, no matter how much they charged per 15
minutes.   I agree with the consensus of comfortable slacks and a nice
shirt and shoes.

Enjoy your evening.

Marty Reyburn