referall fees

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:28:52 EDT

In a message dated 08/27/2001 4:05:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
tompiano@gate.net writes:

> I apologize to those out there that misinterpreted my views of referral
> fees vs. subcontracting as a form of "shady "dealings. My opinions are not
> aimed discrediting our individual efforts as techs or rebuilders, or
> deceiving the public, but rather at opening a few eyes out there about
> making the most out of your businesses.  I personally get tired hearing many
> out there why they "can't afford" to go to the conventions, or they "can't
> afford" do this or that, when in reality they aren't managing their
> businesses correctly and taking full advantage of their business contacts.
> For those who still don't get it...take Evelyn Smith's business class at
> then next convention and hear from a pro who really knows how to tell it!
> End of rant!
> Tom Servinsky, RPT

As a piano restoration business whose cliental consists of 75% wholesale and
25% retail. We provide a retail and wholesale price list to our wholesale
customers.  The idea is they can go out and price a job retail, subcontract
the work to us and make some money.  Nobody is required to charge our prices,
it is just a guide, but the point is there is nothing wrong with contracting
a retail job, being responsible for it and then subcontracting the work to
responsible contractors and getting paid for your service.  I have been in
the car business, we subcontracted work all the time, the difference is our
customers were told we did.
  As far as pure referrals go why shouldn't someone who has taken the time to
explore the options in their scope and made a decision on the quality of work
done by a particular restoration business, be paid a modest fee for his time
and knowledge?  Every time we give a recommendation part of our valuable
reputation is at risk.  That is worth something to me.

David Koelzer
DFW