referall fees

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:02:23 -0400

Jim,
Your situation with the story you told is in the "unethical" category, and
that would ruffle my feathers,tarnishing any hope of working with that tech
again. The tech was technically in the legal boundaries but not being
upfront with you, hindering any chances of you performing services for him.
But lets say Jim Bryant lets it be known to all the techs in the area he is
making his services available for the wholesale trade at a wholesale prices
( which many rebuilders do), full knowingly making his services financially
attractive for retail techs, he betters his chances for keeping his shop
more busy.  He accepts the notion that his work will be being sold to the
public for a higher price than what he is actually charging to the
work...the same as if Wal Mart buys an item for $x and sells it for $xx.
What you make is what you establish you particular profit margin to be.
What the tech charges the public for obviously has to be within the accept
marketed price for the area, but if he can command more and the public is
willing to pay a premium price for a premium job, technically he is well
within rules of the game.
  Now if both of you are in the same market area competing for the same
retail business and the tech approaches you for a subcontracted price and
situation unfolds as you tell it....than toes get tramped on, and things get
ugly.
You are wise to bring this type of situation to this discussion because its
a classic example when things can and could go sour. Your story is complete
with deceit and warrants a word of caution for any tech considering a
subcontracting relationship, or aligning oneself with a rebuilding shop. One
should be completely upfront with subcontractor, and visa versa.
Again, as always, good to hear your many years of wisdom come through.
Tom Servinsky, RPT