proper use of PTG name

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:41:57 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/01 11:02:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

> I am currently a PTG chapter president.  Does that make me a president of the
> PTG?  I would consider that misrepresentation.

If you are a current member of the PTG, you are not allowed, by our Bylaws,
to use your position in the PTG in any advertising. This includes being an
officer, examiner, or member of a committee.

> I can't imagine a former President (of the whole organization) not
> maintaining
> his membership in PTG until his dying day.  Maybe the ad is not technically
> false, but I'm quite certain it will give the false impression.  No one
> should
> resort to that.  Too bad.
>
> Regards, Clyde

There is a former president of the PTG who is no longer a member of the PTG.

A person who is not a member of the PTG may not advertise membership in the
PTG. Yellow Pages across the country are supposed to have paper work on this.
Technically, this person could be sued for false advertising. If the PTG
wants to pursue this to the full extent, it is my understanding that the PTG
could force the technician to change his/her phone number.

But now comes the big question. This person is advertising he is a former
president and thus presumably a former member of the PTG. Since he is clearly
stating he is a former member of the PTG, can the PTG legally stop him from
advertising as such.

Any legal minds out there want to answer this?

Wim