talcum powder!!!

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:55:35 EDT

In a message dated 8/31/01 9:10:58 AM, doepke@fwi.com writes:

<< I have found some white powdery substance in side of a Gulbranson. It was

especially prevalent in the tenor/high tenor area on the pressure bar.  Is

that a type of rust or something?  It almost looks like talcum powder but

with a greenish tint to it.  Any ideas...anyone? >>

This looks like it was intentionally applied to that wooden bar (someone tell
me what to call this thing!) that is over the capstans. It has little holes
with red felt bushings which the stickers protrude through.  Each hole has
some white powder (which smells and looks like talcum) dusted in and around
it.  I don't specifically see any white powder anywhere else, but I theorized
that it could have gotten into the hammer butt flange bushings making them
sluggish.

I have used Protek CLP in eliminating sluggish flanges with great success,
but my specific concern was whether the talcum powder (if it IS talcum
powder) in combination with CLP might make things worse!  (After all, if you
can mix water and flour and get paste, it's possible in my mind that CLP plus
talcum powder could make portland cement!)

Tom Sivak