Tight Tuning Pins

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 21:34:28 -0500

At 3:10 PM -0700 6/30/01, larudee@pacbell.net wrote:
>  I slipped the coils off each pin, turned it in one full
>turn, out three, back two, put the coil back on and pulled to
>tension.  Ended up
>with torque at 75-90 inch/pounds, some as low as 70 and some over 100.

I did exactly the same thing on a Steinway M used as a concert
instrument at a church, mostly for vocal accompaniment, the pins were
not only tight but jumpy as well, The lower torque did not cure the
jumpiness bit it made it a lot easier to deal with. Only took me
about 8 hours plus one follow up tuning. It has held nicely since
last summer and is still easy to tune, no recidivism...
--
Dave

Dave Doremus RPT
New Orleans