question on plugging was Re: Oiled Pinblock

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 17:55:50 -0300

Wim,
I guess it would depend, on what was most important, looks or working =
correctly. Most people wouldn't lift off the music rack, and compare =
hole sizes. Of course you would always discuss it with the customer, =
after all we are trying to save them from replacing a pinblock. (I know =
that is an extreme.)
So yes I would replace it in any piano.
How big a hole is in the plate of the Steinway or Baldwin, you are =
talking about anyway? Is it that much smaller than 3/8"?
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 5:04 PM
  Subject: Re: question on plugging was Re: Oiled Pinblock

  In a message dated 7/3/01 2:57:39 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca writes:=20

    I think that the 3/8" plug and the hole required, will not take too =
much=20
    from the plate integrity. If you feel it will weaken the plate, then =
don't=20
    do it, as you can't build the plate up again. Was that your =
question?=20
    Regards,=20

    John M. Ross=20

  John=20

  It's not the integrity of the plate I am worried about. I am sure even =

  drilling out 3 or 4 holes won't hurt it. I am more concerned about the =
way it=20
  looks. If all the other holes are smaller, even with a bushing, won't =
it look=20
  "funny?"  Would you do this kind of repair to a Baldwin or Steinway?=20

  Willem=20