how long?

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 19:18:56 -0500

Comments within text below:

Tvak@AOL.COM wrote:

> I should provide some details to my situation:  I've been listed in the
> Yellow Pages for 3 years.
>
> I do send out reminder cards when a year has passed, but response varies
> greatly, it seems.

Do you phone them 2-3 week later to ask if they got the card?  Sometimes they
lose it, or move, or throw it away and change their mind but can't find it.  If
you got on okay in the first visit, they will be glad to talk with you.  If you
think that they didn't call because they don't like you anymore, you're throwing
away a lot of money!  Most people lead very busy lives and ANYTHING you can do to
help organize the situation will be greatly appreciated!

Tom, pianos should be tuned every six months because of seasonal humidity changes
that swell or flatten out the soundboard and cause a 5-15% variation in the pitch
of the notes in the middle of the piano.  This normally occurs within a month of
the shift over from heat to air-conditioning and back.  If this is a dealer
piano, you should strongly discuss this with them when you do the first tuning.
Most manufacturers recommend 2-4 tuning the first year.  Remember, you know a
whole lot more about their piano than they do .  Speak with confidence and they
will follow your recommendations.  Use the information above to sell a
Damppchaser system to them. That will upgrade your bottom line considerably for
the day.

Put additional work recommendations in a circled box in the unused lower part of
your invoice.  Put the prices over to the left of the page so you won't confuse
them about how much they must pay today.  Stuff such as voicing, lost motion, key
level and regulations of various degrees.   About 40% of these will result in
extra business. One lady I did $2500 in repairs and adjustments over a 3 year
period.  One thing I do a lot of is to offer a days work at a set price.  Then I
go in and improve the piano as much as I can in 8 hours.  Most of the time they
like the results enough that they have me come back later to finish up.  When I
first started doing this I offered a discount, but found out later it wasn't
necessary.  This appeals to people on fixed budgets.

Incidentally, don't sell yourself too cheaply.  Discount prices for piano service
is counter-productive. If you are too cheap, the good customers will become
suspicious and won't use you.  All you will get are the people with junk!  You
will not be able to steal good customers from someone else on price alone.  Most
people pay several thousand dollars for their pianos new or get them as
inheritances.  A few bucks on a tuning won't mean a lot. The BEST customers are
referrals!!!

Schedule their next appointment today after you play your demo tune and before
you leave.  Mail out a card reminder three weeks ahead and confirm the week of
the appointment.  More people will keep the appointment than not.  Call again
just before you leave your last appointment.  If you don't have a cell phone, get
one.  It's crucial to this business!

> I have had evaluations by 4 different RPTs who were all very positive about
> my work.  (One hired me to assist him at peak times; another passed several
> clients to me and continues to send me referrals.)  Our chapter had Associate
> Tuning Evaluations in May, and the 2 RPTs assigned to me encouraged me to
> take the RPT exam, which I plan to take next year at the convention in
> Chicago.  (I have to mention this because I don't think the quality of my
> work is the problem.

> Not that I'm satisfied with myself... )

Tom, don't even think that thought! You are the best tuner within miles of their
piano at that time. If you do, your customer can pick up on it instinctively and
may not trust you.  Do your absolute best, and if you find out later that
something wasn't the best, make a note of it and fix it the next time you are in
there.

> I work at a piano store one day a week where I do floor tunings and preps,
> but I didn't count floor tunings in my monthly totals.

Can you talk them into some of their in home tuning?

--
Warren Fisher RPT                   Beginners & Lurkers
fish@Communique.net                 Basic Pianotech discussed