Piano Value Appreciation

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:16:20 EDT

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I am truly confused. The marketing department at Steinway and Sons have an
> interesting web page that "explains" the investment value of their pianos.
> It can be found at:
>
>   http://www.steinway.com/html/showroom/invest.html
>
> It seems they leave out a few details in their examples. I am simply trying
> to understand what exactly they are saying. (Oh, OK, a little venting also!)

Terry

I posted this same scenario several weeks ago, and no one responded. I also
posted the exact same thing about 2 years ago, and again, there wasn't much
interest in the topic. I even wrote an editorial to Music trades, but it was
never published.

My reason is that I suspect everyone knows Steinway is blowing a lot of smoke
on this topic, and there ain't a thing we can do about it. The problem is,
they aren't lying. What they are saying is true. It's just the way they
present it makes it appear buying a Steinway is a good investment. I wish the
other manufacturers would say something. But I guess none of them want to say
anything bad about Steinway, for fear that Steinway will say something bad
about them. The competition is bad enough, The last thing they need is for
Steinway to start complaining about their instrument.

All we, as technicians can do, is tell customers the truth when a customer
asks.

Willem