Dr. Herbert Anton Kellner

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 20:49:40 EDT

Dear List,

Thanks to Paul Bailey RPT for his post.  I wish he'd come back as a regular.
He has the most interesting contemporarily conceived Meantone Temperament.
It was also one of the temperaments featured at the Temperament Festival at
the Convention in Providence, 1998.

The post features writing by Dr. Herbert Anton Kellner from Germany who is
one, if not the earliest of 20th Century tuners to reject Equal Temperament
(ET).  He critiqued and reviewed Professor Owen Jorgensen's first
publication, many years ago, "Tuning the Historical Temperaments (HT) by
Ear".  Dr. Kellner invented his own tempering system which he felt most
closely represented the kind of Well-Tempered Tuning system that Bach must
have used.  Skip Becker RPT presented this temperament at the Temperament
Festival in Providence.

Dr. Kellner's website is fascinating.  Here is the URL:

http://ha.kellner.bei.t-online.de/

He is still quite active, so if any of you personally have some strong
feelings about temperament usage, he would like to hear from you.  His e-mail
address is:

ha.kellner@t-online.de

I'm flattered to say that Dr. Kellner found out about my work by himself, I
never approached him.  He is very interested in my Equal Beating Victorian
Temperament (EBVT).  According to him, the 6 beats per second foundation that
I lay in my temperament is a pulse that is very agreeable to the ear, neither
too slow nor fast.

I have invited Dr. Kellner to come to the Bernstein show I am doing August
3-11 to see and hear how well the EBVT works with both Bernstein and the
Kawai temperament programmable Digital Electronic Keyboards.  I hope he will
accept the invitation and I also think he would be a great speaker and
lecturer to have at the 2002 Convention in Chicago.  He saw the future many,
many years ago.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin