Tuning Complaint - Client Relationship

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@home.com
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:17:48 -0700

Wish my record keeping was as good as yours. No situation will have the =
identical solution or approach to solving the problem. First you need to =
present a somewhat neutral position with the secretary, but always leave =
the impression that you are certainly sorry the piano is not =
cooperating, but you'll be happy to check the piano out to determine =
where and if possible why the piano is out of tune. If it is due to the =
Church's abuse of the instrument or changing humidity conditions you =
must prepare them and educate them to the realities of piano stability. =
If you find that your unisons have really drifted I think you better =
clean them up and start socking them in next visit. If you haven't seen =
a technician do this you might pursue a local concert tech and have =
him/her demonstrate. I don't mean to be critical here, I just don't know =
your personal abilities, so consider the need for development of your =
skills. I remember Doug Wood giving me a demonstration and really =
opening my eyes as to what needs to be done in setting strings/pins. I =
thought the Steinway B he was mauling was going to send out for help. =
But you can't argue with the results.
Frankly, for performance pianos like your customer's, and with the =
changing humidity coupled with the time frame involved, they should pay =
for a tuning. When does a piano need to be tuned? When it's out of tune. =
I don't mean to be flip, either. A concert piano may need to be touched =
up during intermission. A recording studio may want perfect tunings for =
every take. Somewhere between those levels and Mrs. Jones wanting her =
Whitney spinet tuned every fifteen years we have to accommodate and =
educate our customers. But we need to get paid for the service. Did I =
mention we need to educate our customers?
Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@home.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20