buying clients/business

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 22:13:10 -0400

Brian,

Several years ago a very old tuner asked me if I would be interested in buying
his business.  At the time, I was.  I suggested he get back to me with how many
clients he was talking about, a suggested price, etc. and we would talk.  He
never did anything about it.  That disappointed me.  I could have built up my
clientele a lot faster, and he would have netted some needed cash.  I wouldn't
be interested now; I have enough to do.

If he would have given me his clientele list and cooperated with me in making
the transition public in local papers, I was willing to offer him a sizable
percentage of my gross income from his list for the period of a year.  This
arrangement would protect me from paying a lot of money without knowing if it
what I would get out of it.

As to Wim's idea of charging $10,000 for a telephone number, that would be very
difficult for me to accept as a buyer.  Unless a guarantee comes with it, it's
just too risky, and I could end up working for nothing.  A percentage per job
scheduled seems to me to be the fairest all around, if the seller can be assured
that the buyer will actually make good use of the client list.  The seller
should have some protection also.

Regards,
Clyde