Virus going around PTG

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:16:29 -0500

I have gotten a number of emails that have the following message:

-----------
Hi! How are you? I send you this file in order to have your advice

 or I hope you can help me with this file that I send

 or I hope you like the file that I sendo you

 or This is the file with the information that you ask for

 See you later. Thanks
-----------------
These have an attachment which is a virus.  It is rather large around
270K.   For more information about this see
http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/sircam/default.asp?cid=2360
There is also a Spanish version.

I have gotten about 20 of these on the webmaster address and since it picks up
addresses from people's address book we can expect to see more for a while.

This virus somewhat hides by using a name like  ptg.doc.bat
Windows hides file extensions by default and thus you just ptg.doc
You can turn on file extensions by going to a folder showing files (Like My
Documents) Click on View and select Folder Options.  Click the tab called
View and uncheck the option  Hide file extension for known file types.

This won't keep you from getting the messages but it will make it easier to see
viruses which typically have
.exe  .bat,  .pif   .vbs   extensions.

Be careful if you use Outlook that you don't have the auto preview for
attachements on.

ron

Ron Berry
webmaster@ptg.org