Fw: Steinway D value

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 02:06:24 -0400

My dear friends

I am another one who has not been folowwing this thread, but just in =
this area there is something worth noticing.
I have some experience with "vantage" things as I did assist at one time =
in my career people who make a living in this area and I still remember =
a very interesin lesson on the matter,=20

Everything, and that applies to pianos as well as furniture, paintings =
and all sorts of things have two values.  You have to know well how to =
separate the vantage value from the commercial value,=20
Commercial value is what applies to everything when is made with the =
purpose to be marketed and that value deacreses with years untill =
reaches almost 0 and there it will stay at the end of its usefull life, =
commercialy that object can acquire another commercial value if it has =
been repaired ( not restaured)  =20

Depending on the quality of the object, the handcraft, materials, and =
very special qualities that the object possesed when made for the first =
time and which cannot be controled, lets say "rare attractive qualities" =
that object will start developing a vantage value. That is a value =
determined by demand on the object only due to its rare qualities. =
(Excuse me if I make mistakes, mostly because of my vocabulary, if names =
are not right correct me) The vantage value now it only concerns people =
who are interested in possesing a rare object and thus applies to =
collector items and it is between the transition from vantage to =
antique, what most people does not know is, that for an object to realy =
be considered valuable it must be in its original state and have the =
possibility to realy be restaured, and not restaured to commecial use.=20
The difference ?=20

Here there are rules which apply. The object has be be original in all =
its parts, whatever was used in it when repaired if it is not made with =
the same materials and specs as originaly conceived should be noted so =
it can be removed oterwise will not have a real collectors value.=20

When restauration takes place to fully place his value, the restaurer, =
has to have all missing or repaired parts made as they were made =
originaly, taking in account material used, same procedure, and also has =
to identify which parts have been used certifying the process was the =
original process with the same material, then you end up with the fully =
restaured full valued anticqe which can cost many times what its =
original price was.=20

Elian
  ----- Original Message -----=20