more pictures of Iceland

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:58:36 -0500

I used an Olympus Camedia C-2000Z digital camera with 2.1 megapixels. It has
a 3X zoom and a wonderful fast lense.  I think the latest version of this
camera is the C-2010Z (or maybe even a newer model) that will take a 64-bit
Smart Media Card (mine only takes up to 32) and will shoot 30 seconds of
video.  Someone else I know has the latest version of this particular
camera, and I believe it takes pictures at 3.1 megapixels.  I couldn't begin
to say enough good things  about these Olympus Camedia digital cameras!
They are not the cheapest ones on the market, either, but you get what you
pay for.  It seems to me they cost between $800 and $1000.

Kristinn is right about the pictures not showing the incredible depth of
field.  Not only was it very cold (and he does NOT like cold!) but very
windy.  How windy?  His reply was always in cm/sec so I am quite clueless!
Let's just say that in that kind of wind, you don't want any bare skin.  I
never realized just how dangerous wind chill factor was until I experienced
it first hand.  There is a very good reason why zippers on clothing are
covered by "wind" flaps!  I now know where pleats came from!

I must also mention that there are two Icelands - one outdoors and one
indoors.  The outdoors has the most changeable climate you can imagine.  It
is so variable that it doesn't  do any good to look out the window to check
the weather, because by the time you get to the door to walk outside, it has
changed!  However, indoors in all of Iceland is the same hot water heat.  No
matter where you went it was the same temperature and humidity so just about
any brand of piano remains in stable tuning and regulating condition.
Considering that the entire city of Reykjavik is half the number of people
who live in Prince Georges County, Maryland it was amazing to me to see how
well represented the arts were in the public budget.  We were shown
wonderful music halls and music schools.  We would probably have nice arts
and music programs too, in this country, if we didn't spend so much money on
basketball and football!

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt, Maryland