Strange call

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:50:19 -0500

>Sure, I know what happened. Have you ever noticed that many aural tuners
>will stretch C88 WAY, WAY sharp? Like even 50 cents sharp of where most
>would arguably tune it?

Yeah! I have a school district where I've tuned for the middle
school, and high school for 20 years now, and they finally asked me
to take care of the elementary school pianos too. I was forewarned by
the "new" (formerly at the middle school) music program director that
the pianos sounded awful.
Of course, the pianos had last been tuned in September (maximum
humidity) and now are bone dry, and wicked flat especially at the
bass/tenor break.
Except for ... when I got to A6 -- suddenly instead of needing to use
my SAT II's pitch raise "overshoot", I had to start lowering the
pitch -- a lot! And it just kept going ....
All of the pianos at these schools were like this. By B7 it was 200
cents sharp!

I am not acquainted with the "former" piano tuner, but I have learned
that he is  an elderly blind technician. While on the one hand I'd
like to clue him in, I doubt that he'd take too kindly to a stranger
telling him it's time to hang up the hammer!

Patrick

BTW Massachusetts has a law on the books which REQUIRES all public
schools to employ blind technicians. Sometimes this is a beneficial
situation (and sometimes the law is circumvented). A long time ago
there were excellent programs (Perkins School for the Blind) training
blind technicians in the area, but I hear the programs were phased
out quite awhile ago.