What do you tell a 90 year old lady....

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 22:44:42 -0600

>  But how do you tell a 90 year old lady she
> doesn't know how to pedal correctly?
>
> Willem

Hi Willem,
This is one of those "play it where it lies" kind of situations, but you have
to read the lie first to determine the choice of club. In my experience, it's
not safe to presume to predicate or temper your approach to customer education
based on the age of the customer. I talked to a thoroughly wonderful 86 year
old lady today, and after a couple of dumb jokes and obtuse references on my
part (that she got immediately), she mutated from the fuzzy focus "spacy old
feeb" general public interface to a high test personal attention mode. The
difference was striking - like having the Klieg lights coming on while I was
wandering around on the darkened stage, or digging up an abandoned fusion
reactor on the outskirts of Troy. The half hour I was late to my last
appointment was more than worth it, by my scale. This isn't by any means the
first time this has happened either. If they're in there, it doesn't much seem
to matter if they're 35, or 95. If they aren't... etc.

Just talk to her like she's at least as lucid as you, and tell her what you
think. If you get lucky, you're in for a real treat. If not, you can always
disable the pedal.

Ron N