splicing bass strings

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:54:20 -0600

Hello Ron, I just attended a class taught by Al Sanderson and his son
David  on the subject of strings and winding problems. They had studio
recording of piano strings with various "unwraps" and other problems. It
was very easy to hear the big change in the sound as the strings
inhamonicity is increased by removing the wrap.  They were making the
point of how important it is to get the copper closer to the end
termination's. As we all know that doesn't always happen when you send a
string to be duplicated.

Sandersons sell a set of small tape measures that hook on the bridge
pins and help to get uniform string length measurements.

Can you unwrap? Sure. Will it change the sound. Yes. I would take care
and not unwrap past the point were the string is swaged. This will get
you a loose wrap pronto if you do. Sanderson's have a patent on their
swaging method. It's a triangle shape instead of the normal flat swage.

Dr. Sanderson does the scaling for string replacement and then Sanderson
Accu-Strings , David Sanderson, does the winding.

Their class made me aware of string problems I had been facing, where
all help and advice had pointed to voicing the problem out.

Those of you working and tuning Bostons let me know what you think of
the sound of the series of small base strings. F#2 to A#2 on the GP 178
Grand and smaller grands.
I have found notes in this series to be raspy, thuddy, etc.. Anyone been
able to smooth this section out by voicing?   I would like your thought
on this..
Richard Oliver Snelson
Oliver Piano