splicing bass strings

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:48:06 -0600

>...1. Strip too much of the string and the winding looses its grip on the
>flattened core wire.
>2. If you bend the flattened core wire in the wrong direction it may break.
>3. It can be tight doing this on a bi chord, gets a bit tricky twisting the
>splice sideways for clearance sometimes.
>4. If the copper wire is thick and you try peeling it of, it can loosen its
>grip around the swag (flattened bit).
>Tony Caught

>...Depends ... how much wrap is removed. In practice,
>I can't say I've noticed any tuning differences beyond the usual mismatch
>disconfrugalties found in a lot of new strings...
>Ron N

>...I would take care
>and not unwrap past the point were the string is swaged. This will get
>you a loose wrap pronto if you do.
>Richard Oliver Snelson

Terry, Tony, Ron, Richard, List,

Tying a knot using part of the flat area is sometimes necessary, when
splicing bass strings in the speaking length area, to avoid hitting the
upper bridge termination pin when pulling it to the necessary pitch.  My
experience generally indicates what Ron says above.

When the flat area occurs in the knot area, I bend it just as I would the
round part of the string, not on the edge, but the flat side.  No real
problems have occurred in doing this at all.

I also have not had a problem with the winding losing its grip on the core
in doing this.  The winding is either already tight or loose before
starting such a procedure, and I have not found unwrapping copper windings
to adversely affect the rest of the wrap.

Yes, there are times when clearance is at a premium, but all the more fun
and challenge when performing this type repair  :-)

And yes, there are times when attempting to shape the knot, the old wire
will break.  However, I attribute this to a fatigued wire ... period.  If a
second break does occurs, that's pretty much my clue to toss it, and put in
a new one.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician