splicing bass strings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:24:33 -0600

>Hello Ron, I just attended a class taught by Al Sanderson and his son
>David  on the subject of strings and winding problems. They had studio
>recording of piano strings with various "unwraps" and other problems. It
>was very easy to hear the big change in the sound as the strings
>inhamonicity is increased by removing the wrap.
-------------------------------

Hi Richard. Yes, of course it will if you just peel wrap. That wasn't the
scenario. Were any of their recordings of strings with wrap peeled and the
extra string mass of a splice added? That will change the sound too, most
likely, but probably won't create tuning mismatches any worse than what you
can find among the other wrapped strings. You probably can't find the
spliced string aurally, which was the point.

>Their class made me aware of string problems I had been facing, where
>all help and advice had pointed to voicing the problem out.

Voicing gets the blame for a whole lot of things having very little to do
with the hammers.

>Those of you working and tuning Bostons let me know what you think of
>the sound of the series of small base strings. F#2 to A#2 on the GP 178
>Grand and smaller grands.
>I have found notes in this series to be raspy, thuddy, etc.. Anyone been
>able to smooth this section out by voicing?   I would like your thought
>on this..
>Richard Oliver Snelson

Would that, by unlikely coincidence, be the low end of the tenor bridge?
Are you asking for help and advice in voicing the problem out? If all the
pianos of that model have the same voicing problem at the same point in the
scale, it's probably not a voicing problem at all, but rather a scaling
and/or soundboard problem. I'm sorry I don't know any voicing tricks that
make these sort of things go away. Wish I did.

Ron N