FFT understanding.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 22:36:44 -0600

>With regard to the recent posts about ETD displays, and the
>lengthy somewhat technical response of Ron N. several folks have
>emailed me wondering what on earth he was talking about.  Needing
>and wanting more understanding myself (grin...as it seems likely
>I am going to have to attempt to write a program on my own) I
>started poking around and found an interesting tutorial on the
>FFT. It seems fairly complete for those wanting an introduction
>to what the FFT is, and some of the basic useages for it. Lots of
>goodies included.
>
>ANYone who is interesting in getting a basic handle...and perhaps
>a bit more then just that... on this interesting bit of how ETD's
>work should take a look at this web site and perhaps down load
>the package. As far as I can tell it is free.. but I am not
>certain yet. Check it out.
>
>http://www.steema.com/FFTProp/FFTProperties/FFTProperties.htm
>
>Have fun.
>--
>Richard Brekne

Also, check out Don Cross's info at http://www.intersrv.com/~dcross/fft.html.

FFT processing is used in all sorts of things from analyzing the call of
the Random Warbler to medical imaging. Very interesting stuff, but
everything you learn about it leads to three more divergent directions of
interest, and it gets pretty dense, pretty quickly. It's magic.

Ron N