What do you tell... + a true story

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 11:40:19 -0600

>...This lady pushed her foot down, and kept it there. She even commented
>that
>she had never lifted her foot during playing for as long as she had been
>playing. That is why it was hard for me to tell her she'd been doing it
>wrong
>for 80 years.
>
>Willem

Wim, LIst,

She never was doing it wrong, Wim.  She was doing what the piano caused her
to do before the previous tech changed the damper pads and did who knows
whatever else.

80 years ... same piano ... same pedal technique ... 90 years old ... gotta
like you and your delivery, Wim   (just funning, friend)

Just regulate the damper system where it needs it, puts lots of lost motion
in the sustain pedal travel down near to the end, and I bet you'll find
you'll have a happy 90 year old camper.

True story follows:
I can certainly sympathize with this kind of situation, however.  I had a
situation where some tech removed the remains of the worn out leather pad
under the rod in the sustain pedal system on old cherished Steinway grand,
and put something new in.  Not a big deal, right?  Simple enough, yes?
Wrong !!!

The customer was *distraught* when I arrived.  I was requested to undue
what the other person did, and to put the remains (that they salvaged from
the trashcan and saved in an envelope) back in and make it like it was.
Tall order, my friend, and one that I never adequately was able to fulfill.
They have never been happy since, and feel the piano, and their playing
time on it, has been injured for life.

The lesson I learned here is, don't go doing unnecessary service work,
however minor, on someone else's property, thinking you're going to be a
hero and appreciated, until you clear it with the owner/player.  Otherwise,
it could very well be a huge disservice.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild