Strange call, melodic vs. harmonic

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 07:35:15 -0500

Greg. You have made a very concise and pertinent statement regarding use of
ETDs. Anyone with questions about why or how (in the global sense) to use an
ETD should read and understand Greg's post.

Why might I like to use an ETD?
"It seems to make my ears less burned out to do a better final check. I see
the main use of the ETD as an effort for consistency and smoothly
progressing intervals both up and down the scale. I also let it do most of
the work on small lack luster pianos for sanity's sake!"

How should an ETD be used (from the global perspective)?
" I would prefer more stretch in the bass than the template tuning curve
gives me but it (is) fairly easy to adjust THE WAY I LIKE IT..... no problem
(accent added by TF). I now give up trying to match the machine and try to
make the machine match me! It seems that if my thick head (judging by this
post, not so thick - TF) can get the machine to read the notes to me as I'd
like to tune them (stretch wise) all would be fine (which of course CAN AND
SHOULD/MUST be done). "

IMHO, if anyone says that they don't like the sound of a "machine" tuning, I
say the technician did not use the machine properly. Because if they did not
like the tuning, it should be that they did not like the way the technician
stretched the piano, and not have anything to do with the
machine........unless of course the toooner let the machine do all the
thinking. In that case it is hit-or-miss. Sometimes the magic works and
sometimes it doesn't!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida