The Pitch Thing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 08:11:22 -0500

You might not like it if you really listened to it. One of the reasons I
always recommend to customers that we try to bring their
below-standard-pitch piano up to A440 is that it will sound a lot better,
especially in the bass. Try it on a few bass strings. Start out a half step
flat. Sounds - well, like it sounds. Raise it 50 cents. Hmmmmmm, that does
sound better. Raise it the last 50 cents. WOW, that really sounds brighter,
crisper, A LOT more growl - not so muddy.

It's kinda fun when raising the pitch of a piano a half step (I did two on
Friday), listening to the difference in tone quality in the bass while
pulling it up. Pretty dramatic (you get to cheat/overdramatize a little bit
because you are actually overpulling 15% or so for the pitch raise!). If the
owner is near, I'll call it to their attention: "Mrs. Dullstring, listen to
how this bass string sounds now.....duuuunnnngggg.....that is where the
piano's pitch was. Now I will raise to pitch to where we are going with the
whole piano (strike the note hard and pull that puppy up (sounds so cool)).
(Now hit it again) BOOONNNNGGGGGG........See how much better that sounds."
They say: "Oh, my, yes. What a difference. I don't know why that other
tooooner did not raise the pitch."

P.S. Keeping in mind here (and most other areas of life) that a BONG is
significantly more desirable than a dung.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com