$450.00 Bass strings???????

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:48:44 -0500

Sure, let's talk. I suspect I may know what gives right off. You work on
Steinways and M&Hs. At this early stage of my career, I tend to work on
Aeolians and Esteys. The grand pianos I have rebuilt so far tend to be 4'
10", or there abouts. The specific Estey referenced in my post has 55 (FIFTY
FIVE!) bass strings. Twice as many strings as a real piano means twice the
price. David Sanderson charges $8 per string, regardless of length. 55 x $8
= $440. How many bass strings on a S&S D or B? Maybe 25 or 30? 30 x $8 =
$240, which is a tad closer to your figures.

Again, I have no idea what the other string makers charge per string. I went
with David because I felt comfortable with him and have been astounded with
his strings. But I have not tried any of the others yet, and don't have any
current plans to do that. I have heard nothing but good things about the G.
C. product, except that he can hard to get a hold of (and I might even add
that the Sanderson strings come extremely close to the terminus also - very
accurate measurements are imperative).

I would imagine the above makes the string fee a bit more palatable? Or am I
missing the point?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida