Shrill notes

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 04 Mar 2001 21:12:10 -0500

Friends,

Do you have any advice on how I can help a piano-teacher client of mine?

Several months ago she bought a new Baldwin Hamilton.  It sounded okay
to her in the showroom, but after it was delivered to her home several
of the notes in the fifth octave (around E5 to G#5) sounded very shrill
to her.  She contacted me and the piano dealer.

Since voicing is not my forte, I encouraged her to work with the dealer,
who has been doing his best to treat her well.  I haven't seen the
piano.  A couple different technicians have been to her home.  One heard
what she was hearing but was unable to fix the problem.

She went to the showroom and played a number of other pianos.  Some
would sound okay to her in the showroom, but when the dealer moved the
piano to a smaller room, she would again hear this shrillness in notes
in the same area in them as well.  The pianos were from different
manufacturers and different models.

Everyone seems at a loss to know what to do or what the problem is.  If
it is her hearing, I don't think the tech would have been able to hear
the problem.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  What is the likely problem, and
what can we do here?  Help!!

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT