What do you tell a 90 year old lady....

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:44:07 EST

gharvey@netsource.co.nz writes:

> But seriously, I find this situation tricky as well. You might ask if you
> can try playing the piano while she watches.
> Then carefully play and release pedal to demonstrate that you don't see what
> the problem is.
>
> Got to be diplomatic though or you may not get tea and bikkies.
>
> Regards

Greame.

That is exactly what I did. I played and pedaled like you're supposed to,
lifting my foot as needed. That is when she made the comment that she never
did that. She said she has always played with the pedal on, all her life. She
even played without the pedal, and said that there is some music that is
supposed to be played that way. But when she plays Clair De Lune, it is
supposed to be played with the pedal on, constantly, but the bass notes
shouldn't be continuing to sound.  Go figure.

As far as the tea and bikkies are concerned, I might accept the tea, but
bikkies..... I don't know, that sounds awfully personal to me, here in good
ol' USA. (what in heck are bikkies?)

Willem