Parts Markup, was: $450.00 Bass strings

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 08:14:39 EST

In a message dated 03/05/2001 9:05:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM writes:

<< Terry:
 Here's a thought for you and any others who want chime in. I believe that we
 have lost the art of valuing ourselves and translating that value into the
 costs we transfer to others for the services we perform for them. If we
 really think hard about what we are worth as a function of what we need to
 live happily in the world, then why do we need to mark up parts at all,
other
 than carrying costs?
 Paul R-J >>

Hi Paul,
To me "valuing ourselves and translating that value into the costs we
transfer to others for the services we perform for them" is not "lost" in
parts mark up. The parts mark up is an indication of valuing ourselves (our
expertise is what their paying for) and time. I call it extra profit over and
above what one may have factored into their hourly compensation for a profit
margin. Customers don't expect to pay wholesale prices for anything unless it
is advertised that way. This includes you and me as consumers contracting
with any service provider for what ever reason.

For me, "to live happily in the world" means figuring out exactly how much I
need to make in order to stay in business, float all the other financial
obligations, and fund life's little pleasures that I don't want to deny
myself. These would include socking money away for retirement, vacations...
All this translates into marking up parts because if I take that out of my
economic equation I have to raise my hourly rate to a level that probably
prices me far and above any other technicain in my market. That would be a
bad business decision on my part.

Sincerely,

Doug Mahard