Parts Markup, was: $450.00 Bass strings

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 07:44:50 -0500

Terry,

My perception is that the standard markup is different for different
businesses.  An HVAC man said they usually work with 25%.  On the other hand, I
have heard of some retailers (not sure which now) who use a 400% or 500% markup.

If I understand the Ancott Music Product Directory, most pianos wholesale for
about half the list price.  This is why some dealers can give substantial
discounts and still remain in business.  I do not begrudge them of a hefty
markup, because I would think they have hefty expenses, when one considers
operating a showroom, paying salesmen and everything else.

Even though I usually base parts prices on a 100% markup, profits from the sale
of parts are a very small part of my income.  About the only things I sell from
which I actually make enough bucks worth talking about are the Dampp-Chaser
systems.

Regards,
Clyde