Grey Market Pianos?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 20:02:17 -0500

I service the pianos for many military families here in the Tampa area. =
I have several that were stationed in Japan, married there, and moved =
here. They brought there Japanese Yamaha pianos with them. ORIGINAL =
owners. Now Yamaha would call this a grey market piano and refuse =
support? Thanks kinda stinky.

What's with the grey crud here. This likely goofs up some folk's =
computers.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 4:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Grey Market Pianos?

  I would not personally include such private pianos brought along as a =
natural course of moving from one country to another...then later sold =
as grey market pianos. The term "grey market" speaks to me of an =
industry... (grin... conspiracy). That being said one might run into =
some of the same kinds of problems. In addition it has been south of the =
equator... that is surely to complicate matters.... the sound will =
probably vibrate in the oposite direction now then it was meant =
to.....ROLF... I didnt say that last part did I really ??=20
  Joseph Garrett wrote:=20

    I have a client, who bought their Grand Piano in South Africa. They =
have since moved to Oregon. This is a rather odd construction piano =
w/water pipe for pedal lyre columns! It is a Yamaha. Would this piano be =
considered a Grey Market Piano? If so, then why should they be denied =
proper parts and service, just because they once lived in South Africa =
and LEGALLY PURCHASED it from a Yamaha Dealer? At present time, the =
piano does not have any problems, but if and when it does, what am I =
going to tell them? Somethings wrong with this picture! Any comments =
would be appreciated.Joe Garrett, RPT-Oregon USA
  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20
  RPT, N.P.T.F.=20
  Bergen, Norway=20