'C' fork users only (inferior 'A' fork users need not apply)

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 23:12:27 -0500

Brian,

   Good to hear from you. If any of the following seems inanely obvious,
forgive me. It is necessary for clairification only.
     I think many west side pond dwellers generally use the third - sixth
test to determin the width of a perfect forth, in the following way.
    Lets say we want to see the relative width of C up to F.  In this
example, one of the notes must be accepted as correct. In this case, since
we are using a 'C' temperment,  let that fixed note be 'C', and we are
looking to stretch the F. By going down a Mj. 3rd. from the 'C', to A flat,
we now have the 3rd. & 6th... A-flat to C, (Mj.3rd) and A flat to F(Mj.6th.)
    If they beat the same, the interval is "perfect", which would of course
not work for ET. A little nudge on the F, will bring an beat speed change ,
not as easily noticable when using 'only' the stright 4th.

   Are you using the the 3 rd. 6 th. test to set a forth, that is the G up
to C, ofr for another interval width check?
    Is setting the relative speed of C up to E, which is the first interval
in Barries pattern, later modified when G is introduced?