future of the acoustic piano

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:32:19 +0930

Hi Richard and all who agreed and disagreed.

After seeing a lot of the comments that were made about how good this
electronic piano was ( and me thinking that you where actually there at the
performance), when I realised that people are making comments on sound heard
via a (generally small cheap) speaker in a TV set, I had to make this
comment.

I am always amazed at how so many people say how good it sounded on their TV
set etc.
I can remember when I was selling organs and would play (one finger of
course) the trumpet (play a well known trumpet piece) and everyone would say
'how realistic, you couldn't pick that from a real one' now the old Kimball
Fun Machine was good, but not that good.

My point is, when you hear music and musical instruments via a teeny weeny
speaker in a TV set or in good speakers attached to the TV set or what ever,
the signal is still transmitted at less than the desirable listening range
of frequencies so to say you could not tell if it was electronic or not is
fairly understandable.
And yes I do agree, listening to the best Bossie or Steinweg or what ever
would sound the same, on a TV set. Fortunately in real life you can tell the
difference.

Regards

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au

> > Richard Moody wrote:
> > > I am watching a Glen Cambell fundraising telecast for South Dakota PBS
> > > recorded in Sioux Falls in a highly touted hall, Washington Pavillion.
He