future of the acoustic piano

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:00:59 -0500

>Hi Richard and all who agreed and disagreed.
>
>After seeing a lot of the comments that were made about how good this
>electronic piano was ( and me thinking that you where actually there at the
>performance), when I realised that people are making comments on sound heard
>via a (generally small cheap) speaker in a TV set, I had to make this
>comment.
>
>I am always amazed at how so many people say how good it sounded on their TV
>set etc.

Let's not bury our heads in the sand. Forget about comparing a
digital piano through a TV speaker. Take the time to listen to a
current digital piano.

A model that is quite extraordinary is the new Technics SX-PC25,
which sells for under $1700. Tone and action are quite good. Listen
to it and compare it to a decent 6' grand. It would be difficult for
most people to tell the difference-it's that good.

Does that mean that people would buy a digital instead of a grand?
Certainly not, there are still many subtle nuances. The reality
however is that for the similar cost of a 20 year old so-so spinet
piano people can get something with a much better sound and action.

--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.