Fw: future of the acoustic piano

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:57:13 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Delwin D Fandrich" <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 7:48 AM
Subject: Re: future of the acoustic piano

>    Del fandrich wrote

> > Stephen
>
> Oh, come on, Stephen. Next thing you'll be wanting pianos to go back to
> having some kind of broad tonal dynamics and musicality and musical
intimacy
> and all that. No one wants that stuff any more -- just give me bright and
> power. "Hear that, Mrs Jones, just listen to that power -- much better
than
> that wimpy Brand X down the street! What kind of offer can I make to get
you
> to sign up today? What? You want to play the piano for a couple of hours
> before you make up your mind? Oh, well, no. I don't think we can arrange
> that. It would bother the other customers, you see. What a strange
request."

> Have a heart, Stephen. Do you want to disrupt and entire industry? If we
go
> the direction you're talking about where would all the modern hammer
makers
> be? They would have to start making piano hammers again and they've
> forgotten how. We would have to start voicing for musicality and dynamics
> again and we've forgotten how. Besides, most of us would have to get
hearing
> aids just to hear all those dynamics.
>
> Ah, well... Nice dream. That is what you were doing, right?
>
> Del

          DEL,       THIS IS THE REASON I GAVE UP ON IN HOME SERVICE  AND
WENT TO FULL TIME REBUILDING SO I COULD GET AWAY FROM ALL THAT BRIGHT BRASH
STUFF AND CREATE MY OWN SOUND.  HONESTLY I ALSO DID IT TO SAVE MY HEARING.

           SOME GUYS HAVE A PHYSIOLOGY ,STAMINA AND PASSION FOR THAT IN HOME
TUNING THING AND I'M NOT PUTTING THAT DOWN.  I'M JUST UNABLE TO GRIND IT OUT
DAY AFTER DAY. I DID THAT FOR 20YRS. IT TEARS ME UP.  WE NEED YOU FIELD
TECHS. YOU'RE INVALUABLE!!!!!!!

    SINCERELY------DALE ERWIN