Grey Market Pianos

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@home.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 21:21:20 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joseph Garrett=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 8:14 PM
  Subject: Grey Market Pianos

  Regarding the basic attitude. I think the manufacturers are missing =
the point
  When I completely rebuild a fine old instrument, my guarantee is: If =
it ceases to function, under normal use, I will fix it again for FREE! I =
do not put time limits or any other limits on that guarantee! This means =
if my client moves to lower slobovia and his piano ceases to function =
properly and there is a competant technician available, I will pay that =
technician to fix it!
  It is my opinion, that if a manufacturer makes a product, that =
manufacturer should not limit accessability to parts and service. No =
Matter What! This whole Grey Market stuff is BS!
  Joe Garrett

  Joe,
  I must respectfully disagree with you on this one.=20
  First, I wish to acknowledge your fine ethical position regarding =
standing behind your work. You set a very high standard in that regard, =
one that I hope everyone aspires to.=20
  Second, You are not fairly comparing situations: In the example you =
give, most likely you are providing a service for a customer dealing =
with an instrument manufactured in this country. By your very words " a =
fine old instrument" you are implying that it was an appropriate =
instrument for the market it was intended to serve in the first place. =
Your re-build, re-furbishment whatever, only further enhances the =
original concept. You are perfectly correct in guarantying your =
work...to a point. Would you feel obligated to run right over to the =
customer's house that had only partially sheltered the piano from the =
rain? What about paying the services of an overseas tech who found out =
that the piano, now residing in the Sahara with no air-conditioning, has =
a cracked soundboard and loose tuning pins. Those are situations =
requiring a degree of judgment on your part, right?=20
  As far as the case of the "gray market" piano described by Yamaha, =
there is a legitimate concern over the suitability of those pianos =
manufactured for what amounts to the Asian market. It's simply the =
moisture content of the wood used for that market. When imported to the =
North American area problems can occur. I've seen a bunch of them and =
condemned many. Come on by one of the music stores here in Bellevue, WA =
on your way to the Pacific Northwest Conference and I'll show you =
exactly what takes place. Yamaha went to great expense to correct a =
situation regarding the importation of pianos that were not particularly =
seasoned for our dryer climate. Based on that expensive  experience they =
created a piano line that was more compatible to our dryer climate =
inside our homes in North America. That is the product they wish to sell =
and support, not some product that is, percentage wise, doomed to =
continuing failure. I do support their efforts in this matter. If I need =
to put parts on one of those pianos, there are a number of alternatives =
that are available as you well know. I always advise potential buyers =
and current owners of these gray market pianos of the potential for =
early deterioration.Yamaha has said many times that they will gladly =
support those pianos that were imported privately under different =
circumstances. There may be problems with the pianos anyhow, but they =
will get some help from one of the best manufacturers in the world. =
Flame suit on!

  Joseph Alkana