pianotech-digest V2001 #309

Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:27:54 -0800

Re: Inadvertent pitch raise with SAT III
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mark Wisner=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: March 07, 2001 9:13 PM
  Subject: RE: pianotech-digest V2001 #309

  "Todays piano manufacturers have, well simply lost perspective... they
  continually explore the possibilities for making instruments more and =
more
  explosive in sound"

  If the above is true, it's only because that's what the folks buying =
pianos want.  Manufacturers respond to market conditions and  it's up to =
us as musicians and technicians to change the market if we think it =
needs changing.=20

-----

Mark, I'm not so sure this really is true. I'd say this is more what the =
folks buying pianos have become conditioned to. I gone through both the =
Japanese piano invasion and the Korean piano invasion and in both cases =
the most attractive feature started out being the price.=20

As time passed sales people naturally began to look for ways to overcome =
the objections to the hard, linear sounds inherent in most of these =
pianos and, true to form, began stressing that this kind of sound was =
desirable. Power was good. More power was better. And if it hurts your =
ears, why that's just the piano you need in your very own home.=20

I've heard way to many salespeople trashing the sound of a perfectly =
good piano in favor of the imported piano they were selling by =
explaining that the softer, more dynamic sound of the competition's =
piano was the result of poor quality control, or poor design, or poor =
manufacturing, or poor something or other.

It didn't help that America's most well known pianos really were rather =
poorly built at the time, at least in finish detailing and finishing. =
That they would still outlast the imported pianos by several generations =
was a whole other issue.

Now we find the U.S. manufacturers improving their fit and finish while =
trying to emulate this hard, linear sound instead of leading the way =
back to musicality. Sad.

Del