Margo on Why 12 notes (long)

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 07:13:58 -0500

Friends,

Although I recognize that I may be getting in over my head here, I would like to
add that I regard the current 12-tone chromatic scale as useful not only in
western music but in helping us understand most music from around the world.

When I was a music teacher I spent a little time with a study called
"Cantometrics: A Study of Singing Style" or something similar.  Singing examples
were recorded from almost all people groups of the world for analysis.  If my
powers of recall are correct, the music of nearly all could be written down
using our current system of notation.

Granted, some cultures use only the five-tone pentatonic scale, while others,
using microtones, go beyond our familiar system.  But I've wondered if there is
something "natural" about the twelve tones as most of us perceive them, or about
the diatonic scales, all the variances of tuning differences notwithstanding.

Regards, Clyde