future of the acoustic piano

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:51:05 EST

In a message dated 3/7/01 11:35:21 PM, gharvey@netsource.co.nz writes:

<< I may be off track here but I'm convinced there is "something more" present
in
an acoustic performance than via electronic instruments, but how do you
describe it?

With an electronic instrument, the sound emanates from a speaker, or two, but
the sound is always directional.  In an acoustic instrument, the sound
emanates in all directions.  It fills the room in a much more pleasing
manner, and can actually be louder with less stress on the ear.

Prior to tuning, I spent 20 years performing on electronic keyboards in the
orchestra pits of musicals.  I have certainly heard the improvement in the
sound of these electronic keyboards over the years.  But there are two things
to bear in mind.  First of all, any electronic keyboard sounds better in the
context of an orchestra or band.  Play a single note of that trumpet patch by
itself and it sounds like an accordion, but play an idiomatic melodic phrase
while the orchestra is playing and your ear buys into it.

Secondly, and more direct to our discussion of the future of the acoustic
piano, MIDI provides 127 discrete steps of volume and tone.  That's it.  127
variations of the tone and 127 discrete steps of volume.  Could you imagine
any acoustic piano from a Gulbransen spinet on up having such a limited
palette of tones?   Furthermore, each note is a separate entity, unable to be
influenced by its neighbors, whether the sustain pedal is engaged or not.  In
an electronic instrument, the sustain pedal merely sustains the tone, instead
of allowing the strings to vibrate in sympathy with one another as in a real
piano.

Having performed on many different keyboards over the years, I can assure you
that there is no comparison between playing an actual piano and playing the
keyboard.  However, in that situation, where there is an orchestra around
you, and the sound man needs to get the sound of the "piano" out into the
house, they really function well; no mic-ing problems, a simple LINE OUT gets
you into the sound board; no intonation problems with all the temperature and
humidity variations in the pit;  takes up less space.  And in the context of
the orchestra, the sound of the "piano" is just fine.

Tom Sivak