future of the acoustic piano

SpockinCT@AOL.COM SpockinCT@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:41:06 EST

List,

Though I agree with most everything being said about digitals verses
acoustics...I must say, I'm the proud owner of a Technics Digital piano...And
I put on my flame suit so say what you will! ;-) I just thought I'd tell you
all my reasons for buying it and why I was the "ideal' example of who's
buying them.

 First off, I grew up playing an acoustic and playing my teacher's Steinway
B. Then...once I reached 18 and got out on my own I moved a long way from
home and I wasn't able to take the piano. Inevitably I missed it a lot and
spent several dreamy days walking around the local piano showroom. Well, as
you might imagine I did not have much money and was not in a position to pay
for anything good...Then I saw the Technics digital...well, at first I
thought I'd never buy one of those, they can't possibly be good enough...but
when I actually decided to play it, to really listen and try it. I was
shocked. These pianos were much better than I ever thought they would be. The
touch was realistic and the sound was as well. BTW, my model has 4 speakers
and they are fairly powerful. Now, why wouldn't I buy one when I couldn't get
another?

1. Great price (although I realize they don't retain value very well)
2. Portable and lite-weight (easy for me to move by myself)
3. Realistic touch and sound
4. Features. (recording ability, mixing, transposing, changing key response
with             the touch of a button, different sounds, silent playing with
headphones)
5. Much less upkeep (no tuning, voicing, regulating, etc. Good for money
strapped people like myself! ;-)
6. Good looks. (no exposed wires and not black. Nice simulated cherry finish)

Yes, some of these features are available on a modern modified acoustic piano
but they are much more costly. Yes, I would definately rather have a
Steinway, Masin & Hamlin, Yamaha, or some other quality piano with all those
cool digital add-ons but that is totally unrealistic. It will be many years
before I can even think of buying something like that...Yes, a quality
acoustic that has been taken care of is way ahead of a digital, but not THAT
far ahead. I agree with you all that a digital does not belong in a concert
hall or some other such venue. I would NOT pay money to go watch someone play
a digital. But it was perfect for me, and thousands of other people across
the nation. People like me, or people that just want their child to get a
little exposure to music, not knowing if they will continue. It's a great
alternative.

My 2 cents....haha
Caleb