Billings flanges

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:38:40 EST

I recently tuned a Kimball console, dating back to the 40's, and found
several wobbly hammers.  So I tried to tighten the hammer butt flanges
without removing the action, but it didn't help.  Then I took out the action
and found brass hammer butt flanges.  (Billings flanges)  I tried to re-pin
one, but although the size of pin in the flange was too loose, resulting in
side play, the next size up would not fit into the flange at all!   I'm
planning on going to Shaff, buying some new flanges and replacing the old
ones, but is there a fix of the situation without replacing the flange?  (and
thereby saving me a trip to Schaff!)  And I wonder: what causes a brass
flange to loosen up like that?

Tom Sivak
Associate Member Chicago Chapter PTG