felt knuckles???? (revisited from 9/00)

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 21:49:49 -0600

-------------------------------------

>Ditto.  Only random actions have shown up and there is no documentation
>about them whatsoever. At least not public...
>Del

Del, LIst,

There is a short article in the March 2001 issue of the Piano Technicians
Journal, p8, by James M. Reeder, RPT concerning these felt knuckles.  This
article offers some historical perspective that explains how these knuckles
came into being, and why they were used when they were.

In brief, and according to John Steinway via James, the felt was used
during a time when quality leather from South America was not available,
and this lack of leather just happened to occur during the same time period
when Aeolian used felt instead of leather for vertical hammer butts and
catchers.  Orders had to be filled and this is what they came up with.

I feel very satisfied with this explanation.  Much appreciation to James
for his contribution.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731