future of the acoustic piano

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 22:23:51 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <RustRazor@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: future of the acoustic piano

> <<  I am watching a Glen Cambell fundraising telecast for South
Dakota PBS
>>The piano player
>  > is playing a digital keyboard.  Sounds as good as you can imagine
or want.
>  > I listen as close as I can and cannot tell it is electronic.
Sorry to say
>  > it sounds good enough that I don't care if it is or isn't "real".

> I would like to point out that you were hearing the piano through a
TV
> speaker.  I suggest that if you were to be in the same room as the
digital
> piano and a nice 6' or better acoustic piano, comparing the two, you
might
> change your opinion.
>
> -Matt in NY

But listen to them both through speakers and you might change your
opinion.

The point of my observations was simply to state I have heard a
digital that seems to sound as good through a TV loud speaker as an
acoustic sounds through a TV speaker. IF the fact is important that
99% of piano music is heard through loud speakers, digitals stand to
occupy a considerable niche in the music
industry.   Whether it is a digital or an "acoustic" I say the day is
near when the difference can't be heard through a speaker.  While the
digital will never make the piano obsolete as a musical instrument, it
will become more and more an alternative to the piano in amplified and
recorded music.

Some might ask what is the point on a piano tuner's forum.     My hope
is that the top end digitals will have "real" piano actions in them
thus providing new
opportunities for piano technicians.
Along with digitals and what are known as "keyboard controllers" I
hope someday they will be offered with Kluge keyboards and Renner
actions.
---ric