tone and taste: was Fw: pianotech-digest V2001 #309

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 04:59:07 -0000

I think that we as technicians must be very careful to avoid presumption
about what constitutes ideal tone.  There are at least as many tastes in
tone as there are different kinds of pianos.  When I work with a customer,
for example, replacing a set of hammers on an instrument where there are
different options that will produce different types of tone, I always try to
put on samples to allow them to hear differences and discuss what it is that
they are hearing.  I am careful about imposing my own personal taste, though
I definitely have one, on them.  Often when I explain and compare and
contrast different types of sound that different hammers will produce, the
customers will ultimately agree with me.  But sometimes they don't and the
bottom line is that they will be playing the piano, not me.  I have had many
customers, excellent musicians, who prefer the sound of a Yamaha (albeit a
well voiced one) to that of a Steinway.  Some people like a sharp attack and
others want to be able to get the tone to break up and distort at the fff
end of the scale--they want that as part of their tonal palette.  Of course,
if I am rebuilding a piano on spec with the idea of selling it, I will
always make it according to my own taste--that situation is different.

David Love