Fw: pianotech-digest V2001 #309

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:35:08 -0800

Re: Inadvertent pitch raise with SAT III
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Erwinpiano=20
To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 7:56 PM
Subject: Fw: pianotech-digest V2001 #309

 Mark Wisner writes the following

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Mark Wisner=20
To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 9:13 PM
Subject: RE: pianotech-digest V2001 #309

"Todays piano manufacturers have, well simply lost perspective... they
continually explore the possibilities for making instruments more and =
more
explosive in sound"

If the above is true, it's only because that's what the folks buying =
pianos want.  Manufacturers respond to market conditions and  it's up to =
us as musicians and technicians to change the market if we think it =
needs changing.  =20

Response from Dale Erwin

I have to say that's only partly true in my experience. My father was a =
Yamaha dealer for more than twenty years. In the beginning the grands =
were coming in nicely voiced and perhaps a little European sounding(who =
knows what that means any more) mellowish. Sometimes people objected but =
when we could convince them to try it and let it break in ,the sound =
would develop in to a nice round but present sound and hold that tone =
for a considerable period of time.  Others would not buy it and insist =
on instant sound or they would buy the kawai which was a shade brighter =
at that time.

 I have to confess that I have had not one  client for many years who is =
crying for the instant on sound. They want something different and that =
is a full bodied sound with out the ear shattering power of the hard =
hammer(Petrified felt) syndrome. In order to compete with the big corps. =
my pianos have to be well prepared but it's the sound that sells, and =
I'm finding great appreciation for the big fat present sound that =
musicians and hearing dominate people are attracted to. Private =
rebuilders may in some small way be creating a small but quiet =
revolution against the sound so many of you are objecting to.
   I find that many new pianos of all  makes are limited by the style of =
hammer.  All  that design and engineering short circuited by concrete =
hammers. What's wrong with that picture??????
   If new manufactured pianos want to keep up with the private rebuilder =
they should offer a special line of Well voiced pianos. There is market =
for it and it's quite large Mark.

  respectfully submitted
 Dale Erwin