roots

Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:46:40 +0100

Your answer is of course the correct one. And it yeilds nearly exactly the
same results as the 12th root of 2 in Duncans tables reprinted below.  His
question really had nothing to do with logrithmic scales, the pythagorean
comma or any of the other interesting information given in reply.

The question was actually nothing more then why he got two different
results from multiplying the number 110 by first the 12th root of 2 ten
times,  and then by the 1200 hundreth root of 2  one thousand times.

The answer of course was that something was wrongly calculated. No
calculator can give as bad a divergence as the two tables below reveal
given different ways of writing the same number.

Altså-----    the 1200th root of 2 is the exact same number as the 100th
root of the 12th root of 2. Or taken the other way around.... the 12th
root of 2 is the exact same number as the 1200th root of 2 to the 100th
power.

The two tables should have been essentially identical.

Newton Hunt wrote:

> I get a slightly different number for 1/1200 at 1.0005777895.  That is
> as far as my spread sheet will take it.
>
> The 1/12 root is the same.
>
>                 Newton
>
> 2^(1/1200)